Requirements to rent in France

Every student who would like to rent one of our apartments must have in their possession the following documents (ID or Passport, student card, bank account details…).

Student renters must have guarantor that should supply different documentary evidences according to their status (salaried/ self-employed):

  1. ID or Passport (on both sides)
  2. Bank account details
  3. Salaried: working contract, the three last pay slip and the last income tax notification
  4. Self-employed: the two last income tax notification

Those documents will only be used to study your application form.

Taking out a multiple-risk housing insurance for furnished flats is obligatory and non-inclusive in the amount of the rent.

In the case of the student would not have a guarantor living in France, two other possibilities exist:

  1. A bank guaranty (the total amount of the rent and the deposit must be locked up and insured by your bank).
  2. A payment in advance of the total fees and the amount of the rent.

Information and administrative proceeds (once you are in France)

You must carry with you, all the time, your documents and ID: a copy won’t be accepted. However, if you lose it, copies of your documentary evidences will allow you to make renewal from it.

USA Embassy

2 Avenue Gabriel

75008 Paris, France

+33 (0)1 43 12 22 22

Canada Embassy

37 Avenue Montaigne

75008 Paris, France

+33 (0)1 44 43 29 00

Australia Embassy

4 Rue Jean Rey

75015 Paris, France

+33 (0)1 40 59 33 06

In the case of loss

In order to renew your residence permit, you will have to make a report of the loss in a police station and ask for a duplicate. The Paris’ prefecture or subprefecture will deliver you a supporting report of loss if you have the following documents:

  1. Your current passport
  2. Your last resident permit
  3. A proof of domicile in Paris (leasing contract)
  4. A resources evidence that you receive at least 450€ per month
  5. Three copies of your ID
  6. A proof of your studies followed (certificate of study or internship agreement)
  7. A courses list since your coming in France and what it remains, with a document proving that you are serious (graduations, test results and register certificate).


Depending on where your guarantor lives, you have to supply those documents:

  1. If your guarantor lives in France: you will need a certificate that covers your expenses firmed by your guarantor (with his name, address, the amount of rent and the time of payment as well as the copy of his ID or his residence permit and a proof of his resources).
  2. If your guarantor lives abroad: any document attesting the regular receipt (and the amount) of those incomes from abroad.

Check out the cost on the service public website.